[ISLMA-Share] Changing 741 to GN

Fri Apr 1 12:40:06 CDT 2016

I use GR for Graphic Reader since there was confusion over the terminology fiction/novel.  I have nonfiction graphic readers, too, so eliminating the Novel out of the label solved that.  All my graphic readers are together.  I use the GR as the category location, then F or the Dewey nonfiction number, then the author's letters.  If the book came in as 741, I change the call number to first GR, then add F if it is a fiction title or to the nonfiction number if it would normally be categorized as nonfiction.  I don't use 741 at all.  Examples:  GR F RIO, GR 822.3 SHA.  I also label series' components with their volume number on the spines:  GR F RIO v. 3.

Laura H. Meehan
Licensed Teacher/Librarian
Thurgood Marshall School
Rockford, IL
School:  815-490-5400 l 34009
meehanl at rps205.com<mailto:meehanl at rps205.com>

Finished reading:  Another day by David Levithan
Currently reading:  Crossover by Kwame Alexander
Reading next:  Rump :  the true story of Rumpelstiltskin by Liesl Shurtliff

From: Email list for the Illinois School Library Media Association [mailto:islma at list.railslibraries.info]
Sent: Friday, April 01, 2016 10:47 AM
To: islma at list.railslibraries.info
Subject: [ISLMA-Share] Changing 741 to GN

I saw this conversation happen a couple months ago, and I've been sitting on it.

I am thinking of taking the advice and swapping the 741 spines of my Graphic Novels to "GN XXX"

Anyone have an pro/cons about this?

Currently my fiction is "FIC XXX" and I feel moving from the 741 to the "GN" will be easier for my patrons, and my aides.

Thoughts?

Amy Stefanski
District Libranian
Dunlap School District
astefanski at dunlapcusd.net<mailto:astefanski at dunlapcusd.net>
@LibranSki    @AmyNSTEM

Disclaimer: Your transmission of electronic mail to this address represents your consent to two-way communication by Internet e-mail. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer on which it exists.