[ISLMA-Share] Library renovation

Mon Apr 4 11:20:11 CDT 2016

I currently have low shelving for a 9-12 grade space and I really don't like it. Teens do not like searching low stacks for things. Shelving books is hard on knees and backs and big projects like inventory and weeding is downright painful.

I make use of all my space on top of my shelving to display anything and everything and that is primarily what kids check out. It's right at their eye level and easy to browse.

If possible, I would recommend NOT having low shelving.

Kristen Rademacher
Librarian
Eco Club Director
1 Book 1 Marist Director
Marist High School<http://www.marist.net/academics/arclibrary/>
773.881.5356
@1Book1Marist
rademacher.kristen at marist.net<mailto:rademacher.kristen at marist.net>

From: islma-bounces at list.railslibraries.info [mailto:islma-bounces at list.railslibraries.info] On Behalf Of Email list for the Illinois School Library Media Association
Sent: Monday, April 04, 2016 11:06 AM
To: islma at list.railslibraries.info
Subject: Re: [ISLMA-Share] Library renovation

I have low shelving because I have limited wall space. I like them and they create adequate sight lines since all my shelving sticks out into the open space of our library. The issue would be have enough shelving for your collections. Our shelves are double-sided and our collection is about 6,000 print volumes.

Why you not being involved in the renovation recommendations?

Hope this helps.
Gretchen Zaitzeff
University High School
Normal, IL