[ISLMA-Share] Library renovation

Tue Apr 5 10:09:28 CDT 2016

We renovated our library rather quickly after flooding a two years ago. We
replaced the carpet with a soft, vinyl floor that looks like wood. It is
one of the best decisions we made. It is clean, easy to roll carts on, and
is just as quiet as our carpet was. We have had water issues multiple times
since our big flood, and the floors were perfectly fine. We did opt for a
lighter color floor as it does show salt in the winter. I have seen darker
colors in other schools and noticed much more dirt than ours shows.

We compromised on shelf height. Our nonfiction and graphic novel sections
are along the walls on tall shelving. The fiction section stands on
somewhat lower shelving in the middle of the library. The shelving is about
60 inches tall so it is easy to see over and makes the space seem more open
but does not require students (and staff!) to bend over as much. Our
shelving vendor helped me measure the length of the books on current
shelves so we could purchase just enough new shelving. One vendor suggested
all low shelving but it took up way too much space. Instead of wheels on
shelving, we went for wheels on our tables which allows us to be flexible
with the space.

*Angela Pigoni*
LLC Director
Wheaton North High School
630.784.7300 x8498

On Tue, Apr 5, 2016 at 9:02 AM, Email list for the Illinois School Library

> When you say "tilt the books spine up on the low shelves" do you mean
> that put the books so the spine is parallel to the shelf surface, or  do
> you have some kind of device that keeps them at a 45 degree angle?
>

> As a relatively tall person, I *loathe* the bottom shelf :)
>

> *Kathryn Spindler *
> Teacher-Librarian, MLIS
> Simmons Middle School
> Aurora, IL

This electronic mail message may contain confidential and proprietary
information.  If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient,
any disclosure, copying or distribution of this communication is strictly
immediately delete this message and any attachments.