[ISLMA-Share] Alternatives to H.P. Lovecraft for a fifth grader

Tue Apr 5 15:27:12 CDT 2016

I think Lovecraft is popping up in some of the more popular video games, so your student's interest may be fairly specific to H. P. Lovecraft.  If it's anything like the ones I've heard about, the stories actually influence the choices they make in the game.  I don't know for sure if it's Cthulhu, but I would guess he's the topic since he's both super popular and Lovecraft's major character.

The good news is that there is an adaptation of Call of Cthulhu from ABDO's Graphic series  and Follett lists it as a 5-8 interest, so he could read the story in a more age appropriate adaptation.

I wouldn't give a 5th grader Lovecraft generally speaking because Lovecraft's quite dense in terms of style and often uses old fashioned phrasing- similar to Poe's short stories.  Lovecraft's in the public domain now, though, so if the student is really determined, he can read it free online.

Kathryn Spindler
Teacher-Librarian, MLIS
Simmons Middle School
Aurora, IL

________________________________
From: islma-bounces at list.railslibraries.info <islma-bounces at list.railslibraries.info> on behalf of Email list for the Illinois School Library Media Association <islma at list.railslibraries.info>
Sent: Tuesday, April 5, 2016 1:23 PM
To: Email list for the Illinois School Library Media Association
Subject: Re: [ISLMA-Share] Alternatives to H.P. Lovecraft for a fifth grader

I would agree that the content is really too mature for a 5th grader, I have read some of the stories.  There are quite a few racial slurs, as well as lots of scary scenes.  I would ask him why he is so interested in Lovecraft, and steer him towards more age appropriate horror if that is his interest.  If he is interested because he has heard of Chuthulu, (the squid - like monster Lovecraft created) he might be more interested in other mythology types of books as well.  Good luck, I hope this helps.