[ISLMA-Share] Dead Space

Mon Apr 11 11:23:35 CDT 2016

Oh these are great.

I want to lock the doors, but they are a fire exit to a very large hallway and classes. I may tack up a sign and see who pays attention to it.

I could do mirrors, or plants..

And Im trying to avoid attaching the hormone-induced teenagers...<sigh>

Kathryn - I grew up in Aurora :)

Thanks!

Amy Stefanski
District Libranian
Dunlap School District
astefanski at dunlapcusd.net<mailto:astefanski at dunlapcusd.net>
@LibranSki    @AmyNSTEM

From: islma-bounces at list.railslibraries.info [mailto:islma-bounces at list.railslibraries.info] On Behalf Of Email list for the Illinois School Library Media Association
Sent: Monday, April 11, 2016 11:16 AM
To: islma at list.railslibraries.info
Subject: Re: [ISLMA-Share] Dead Space

Are you concerned about the students coming in through those doors or students being back in that area generally?

I student taught at Amundsen high school and they had a set of doors that couldn't be seen from the circulation desk.  Their solution was to lock the set of doors so they couldn't be opened from the outside.  Because they never entered from those doors, students very rarely figured out that they could exit from them.  They just kind of faded into the background but still could be used as emergency exits.

If it's a larger area and you're worried about students being in that area generally, there's a few things you can do.  You could install those round shop-lifting mirrors that would allow you to see around the corner.  If it's big enough, you could put a table and chairs back there and use it was a quiet space for tutors to work with students.  Students become really used to designations of areas so if they associate it with adults, they won't be as tempted to go back there.  If it's, say, the reference section and they associate it as an empty place, it'll attract 'em like  pollinating honeybees.

One of the schools in our district is about 100 years old and nearly all of the shelving is in little alcoves that are  completely invisible from the circ desk.   That librarian has to do frequent patrols to prevent hormone-induced inappropriate behavior because there is really no way to reclaim the space.

Kathryn Spindler
Teacher-Librarian, MLIS
Simmons Middle School
Aurora, IL