[ISLMA-Share] eBook Platforms

Thu Apr 14 08:48:40 CDT 2016

Follett Brytewave will work on Smartphones though---so if your student
population has access to smart phones they can download to their own device.

We had purchased a handful of Kindle Fires for kids who didn't have device
access. This has been a disaster so far, but I am hoping to improve it for
next year. (Right now, we have to leave the tablets pretty much unlocked in
order for them to access the books.) That being said, our meager collection
of ebooks can hardly compete with pornography and games as a time filler.
Follett has since released a Brytewave edition for Kindle that will allow
for download. Beginning next year, kids will specify which book(s) they
want to be downloaded onto the Kindle, I will download under a dummy
Destiny login, and then shut the wifi off before delivering it to the
student.

I can report back on the success or failure of this method mid-fall.

Leah Krippner
Librarian, Harlem High School
I am currently reading *A World Without You* by Beth Revis

On Thu, Apr 14, 2016 at 7:48 AM, Email list for the Illinois School Library

> Follett eBooks don't work on devices less than a Kindle Fire or iPad.
> Amazon and Follett don't communicate at the level required for Kindle
> ereaders to download the Follett app...
>
> Chris Wilson
>
> On Wed, Apr 13, 2016 at 9:09 PM, Email list for the Illinois School
> Library Media Association <islma at list.railslibraries.info> wrote:
>
>> Hi Everyone,
>>
>> I am just getting started with ebooks and have been looking at some
>> platforms for purchasing and cataloging and making available for students.
>>
>> Does anyone use more than 1 platform or is it better to stick with just
>> one?  For example....do you use Follett Shelf and Abdo Digital BookShelf?
>>
>> Also, how does that Brytewave app work for Follett Shelf if you are using
>> a Kindle Reader?  Can you use those together?
>>
>> Thanks for any help....this feels very overwhelming!
>>
>> Dawn

> 'The first rule of Knit Club is nobody talks about Knit Club. The second
> rule of Knit Club is no Faire Isle sweaters.' T.S. Easton in *Boys Don't
> Knit*.
>

> Christine Wilson,  Media Assistant
> Avon Center School
> CCSD 46
>

> *Home of the Novas *
> 1617 N. Route 83
> Round Lake Beach, IL  60073
>
> 847.543.5509
> wilson.christine at d46. <http://wilson.christine@d46.k12.il.us>org
>

> *Please consider the environment before printing this email *

This email was sent by a staff member of Harlem Consolidated School
District 122.