[ISLMA-Share] Serving Our Users on the Autism Spectrum---Training Available

Tue Apr 19 11:19:28 CDT 2016

The Illinois Heartland Library System (IHLS) is pleased to be offering a workshop focused on concerns and issues that are likely to arise in libraries as we serve patrons and students with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD).   The CDC estimates that about 1 in 68 children have been identified with ASD.  The more familier we are with the condition, the better prepared we will be to serve this growing population and make our libraries welcoming places for those on the spectrum.  The presenter, Russell Bonanno, will also provide information on the Illinois State Library's "Targeting Autism" project.

To reach as many members as possible, the workshop will be offered twice, with each session running from 10:00 a.m.---12:00 p.m.

*         April 22, 2016, Mr. Bonnano will be at our Edwardsville Office with VTEL available at our hubs in Champaign and Du Quoin, as well as the Effingham Public Library and the Illinois State Library. Register in Library Learning (L2)<librarylearning.info>

*         April 29, 2016, Mr. Bonnano will be at our Du Quoin Office, with VTEL available at our hubs in Edwardsville and Champaign, as well as the Effingham Public Library and the Illinois State Library. Register in Library Learning (L2)<librarylearning.info>

If you are thinking of attending, please register at your earliest convenience.

We hope to see many of you at one of our locations!

Ellen Popit
Membership and Grants Director
Illinois Heartland Library System
500 S. Madison