[ISLMA-Share] Digital citizenship lesson?

Wed Apr 20 09:11:08 CDT 2016

I use Common Sense as well as a starting point, and I especially like their videos, but I supplement with information from other sources, and I always use current events examples of people getting into hot water on social media. (They are, not surprisingly, quite easy to find). I also have an administrator come in to talk about our district's policy on cyberbullying, our school resource (police) officer talk about online harassment, etc. One of the very best things that's happened with this lesson (we teach it to all of the freshman Health classes, so all students at our school hear this information) is the teachers who have added their own personal stories of things that have happened to them or to friends of theirs. It's amazing. One teacher had a friend whose son was taken in by a cult, and it was a result of someone targeting him online. (He's fine now, btw), one teacher had a good friend in high school who broke up with her college boyfriend, only to have him mass e-mail a nude photo of her to his entire contact list.
It makes for amazing discussion, and you can really see the light dawning in a lot of these kids' eyes.
Good luck!

Caroline Fox Anvick
School Librarian
Normal Community High School
3900 East Raab Road
Normal, Illinois 61761

From: islma-bounces at list.railslibraries.info [mailto:islma-bounces at list.railslibraries.info] On Behalf Of Email list for the Illinois School Library Media Association
Sent: Wednesday, April 20, 2016 8:26 AM
To: islma at list.railslibraries.info
Subject: [ISLMA-Share] Digital citizenship lesson?

Hello, fellow Information-jockeys!

I was chatting with a counselor the other day and he was talking about how one of the hardest parts of his job is dealing with the aftermath of stuff students say to each other on social media.  Basically, he said that just a few years ago kids would cool off during the weekend, but now they spend the weekend poking each other online and come in on Monday ready to fight.

Does anyone teach a lesson on the digital footprint?   I was thinking about all of the news stories about sexting, cyberbullying, kids who have been expelled for FB pics, etc.

Most of the digital citizenship stuff we have as policy is really old- like 2006 "Don't tell anyone your real name even if they're your grandma."

I'm curious how you're all updating it.

Kathryn Spindler
Teacher-Librarian, MLIS
Simmons Middle School