[ISLMA-Share] copyright question: students recording themselves reading & giving away recordings as a charity project?

Mon Apr 25 13:03:17 CDT 2016

I would appreciate any copyright input you all can offer on a particular
issue.

A group of 8th graders wants to record themselves reading a picture book
(or a few) and then distributing this audio to children in long-term care
hospitals. This is for a community project for 8th grade International
Baccalaureate Integrated Studies.

Copyright is one of many areas I am looking to grow as a librarian but my
red flag went up when their teacher described this idea. Please advise! And
thank you all in advance.

Jamie Winchell
Teacher Librarian
Library Media Center <http://www.op97.org/julian/mediacenter/index.cfm>
Percy Julian Middle School

“Great books help you understand, and they help you to feel understood.”
-John Green