[ISLMA-Share] eRead Illinois in JH and High School

Tue Apr 26 09:00:38 CDT 2016

We are a 1:1 high school with Chromebooks.  Unfortunately, eRead is not
currently compatible with Chromebooks, which is a huge disadvantage for
us--however, we DO still subscribe.  I have been told that they are working
on a Chromebook solution.

The cost is fairly inexpensive for schools and the subscription provides an
extensive library that can fill gaps in your collection.  (Students can
access the books with their phones or other devices.)  Another advantage of
having eRead is that you can set up an "unbound collection," which is just
for your library.  This means you can purchase titles of special interest
to your patrons and extra electronic copies of popular Lincoln titles, for
example.  Only your students can access the unbound titles, and the access
is completely seamless!

Do call eRead for more information--they are friendly, helpful, and
boundlessly enthusiastic!

On Tue, Apr 26, 2016 at 8:11 AM, Email list for the Illinois School Library

> I am in a high school and we have eRead.  We do not limit but it is really
> easy to do.  Also, the eRead people  are really easy to work with and will
> help you with anything you might need.  I also have a consent form if you
> are interested.  Email me at bielby at shg.org.
>
> On Mon, Apr 25, 2016 at 11:31 AM, Email list for the Illinois School
> Library Media Association <islma at list.railslibraries.info> wrote:
>
>> We've had increasing interest and requests for ebooks in our libraries so
>> I'm looking at subscribing to eRead Illinois for our JH and HS libraries.
>> For those of you that already participate, how do your schools handle the
>> accessibility students have to all types of content, such as adult/mature
>> titles in a JH setting, etc.?  I've learned that eRead has a 'scoping'
>> feature to limit the titles they can browse, have you found this to be
>> effective?  Do you have parental consent forms?
>>
>> I'd like to be prepared with solutions when our administrators or parents
>> express their concerns on this point.  Thanks so much for your help!
>>
>> --
>> Katrina Quattlander
>> District Librarian
>> Pana CUSD #8

> *Rachel Bielby, MLIS*
> Librarian
> Sacred Heart-Griffin High School
> Springfield, IL 62702
> (217)787-1595 ext. 113
> b <abecker at shg.org>ielby at shg.org

Daniel Russo
LRC Director & District LRC Coordinator
Batavia High School
1201 Main Street
Batavia, IL  60510
Phone: 630.937.8607
http://bhs.bps101.net/lrc
@bhslrc <https://twitter.com/bhslrc>
daniel.russo at bps101.net
Member, Illinois School Library Media Association <http://islma.org>

"My classroom is the largest classroom in the school...."    Librarian
Joyce Valenza