[ISLMA-Share] summer reading/library

Richelle Steinmetz rikkir77 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 13:55:36 CDT 2016

Hello!
I am putting together my summer reading lists, assignments, and events and
could use some help, suggestions and feedback! I work in a middle school
that serves grades 5-8. We do not have a public library in the area, so I
serve as the public library during the summer. I am open 2 days a week for
2 hours each day. I will be creating a summer reading list for the students
to choose from including Caudill 2017 nominees (these are just
recommendations, not required reading). We ask the students to read at
least 3 books over the summer, but they are typically only required to do
some sort of an assignment for 1 of the books.

We are planning 3 or 4 options for the summer reading assignment:

   - Join a book club and meet one day during the summer at the library to
   discuss the book.
   - Post updates/summary/thoughts about a book they are reading onto the
   school library blog.
   - But for those students that are out of town (or the country) most of
   the summer and/or do not have access to the internet, I need to make 1-2
   other options. Any suggestions would be very appreciated!

It looks like I have a total of 20 summer library days, 4 of which will be
subbed out to others. I would like to fill most of these in with events or
activities for the students and/or parents to attend. Some of the events I
would like to schedule are:

   - Scheduled author chat on Skype or Twitter.
   - Work with our new iPads to do some photo editing.
   - DIY bookmarks/ art from old books.
   - Book clubs.
   - How to post on the library blog or on the library Youtube channel.
   - Art & audio (students will listen to a selected audiobook while
   coloring).
   - Movie & book club - read the book, then watch the movie, and compare
   the book to the movie.
   - Any other ideas or suggestions about the above ideas would be much
   appreciated as well!

Also, if anyone has any really great recommendations for books to read over
the summer, please share! I was thinking about making a list of books Mrs.
Steinmetz will read each week this summer and then having a discussion
group on a specific scheduled day as well...

Thank you so much for your feedback. I always learn so much from everyone!!