[ISLMA-Share] teaching computers to kindergarten (Mac laptops, iPads, and SMARTBoard)

Tue Aug 2 12:57:48 CDT 2016

Cherie, Although I don't get my Kindergarteners for 40 mins *twice* a week,
I do divide my time with them like you do: check-out, story, computer
activity.  I try to make my computer activity an extension of the story.
For example, if we read* Building Our House* by Jonathan Bean, we would go
to the computers and go to http://www.abcya.com/build_a_house.htm to build
a house of our own (computer skills = mouse control, scrolling, locating
URL).

Here are a few other examples:
--read Ed Emberley's* Wing on a Flea *and then go to the SmartBoard (or use
a computer drawing program. I use TuxPaint or PaintGo) to attempt to
recreate Emberley's illustrations. (computer skills = mouse control,
drag-and-drop, altering colors & shapes).
---read *Naked Mole Rat Get Dressed* by Mo Willems, then go to
http://www.pigeonpresents.com/ and play the Mole Rat game.
---read* Rocket Writes a Story* by Tad Hills, then teach students how to
open Google Docs and type their own name or finish a story-starter
sentence. (computer skills: opening Google Docs, naming a document,
keyboarding, changing font color/size, sharing a document)
--read *Do Your Research* by Lisa Owings, then go to the library website to
find online catalog for books or online encyclopedia for information.
(computer skill = locating library website, clicking icons for catalog or
encyclopedia, beginning to *use* catalog or encyclopedia).

Since you have TWO 40 minute sessions, you could continue the lesson into
the second class period (perhaps with a second story...it would be easy to
find two related books on many topics), or continue as you are, just with 2
class periods per week!

Have fun!

Michelle Harris
Heyworth Elementary
Heyworth, IL
harrism at husd4.org

On Tue, Aug 2, 2016 at 10:15 AM, Email list for the Illinois School Library

> Hello!  Due to all day kindergarten, I will be teaching computers for 40
> minutes to the kinders as well as 40 minutes in the library.  I am excited
> about this opportunity but I am hoping for your ideas, because 40 minutes
> can be a long time.
>
> In the past, I combined library time to be part read aloud, part computer
> activity, and part checkout.  In my experience, their attention span for
> projects on the computer is about 10-15 minutes.
>
> In the space, there is a SMARTBoard, Mac laptops, and iPads.  They also
> use the iPads in the classroom.  I am a newbie with interactive lessons on
> the SMARTBoard and with iPads for this age.
>
> Any resources or suggestions that you have to breaking up
> computers/technology into smaller activities, will be greatly appreciated!
>
> Thank you in advance for sharing your knowledge,
> Cherie Heaser
> Librarian and Kindergarten Computer Teacher
> Northbrook, IL

Michelle Harris
District Librarian
Heyworth CUSD #4