[ISLMA-Share] Monarch & Bluestem award feedback

Mon Aug 8 07:18:18 CDT 2016

Dear Allison,

Monarch's is a big deal at our school. I introduce the newest list to
the teachers at the beginning of the year. Each class gets a complete
set of books (thanks to some generous donors). Teachers decide how
some of the books fit into their curriculum.

I have a Mini-Monarch assembly each month between October and
February. The assembly lasts 20 minutes from 8:30-8:50 am before the
first class period. The Preschool-4th grade is invited, but anyone
can come. Two books are shared. I use a document camera to project the
illustrations on the gym wall and read the story. If there is a human
interest story that goes along with it, I will share it. (Example: The
Lost Cat. I showed a couple of news stories where pets found their
owners after being lost). One class always acts out the poetry book on
the list. There have been guest readers. When there are bilingual
stories, I always invite a native speaker to read with me.

I have several activities geared to the 1-3 grades. Examples are a
silhouette scavenger hunt (I learned at an ISLMA conference) and a
match the book to the author/illustrator challenge. Students also get
a stamp for each book they read/hear. Those who read/hear all twenty
get a nice butterfly bookmark.

In February, students start campaigning for their favorite books.
Students make campaign posters and videos. The videos are shown at a
special campaign assembly the Monday before the election.Students vote
and one of the kindergarten classes tabulates the votes and makes the
announcement to the school.

Hope this is helpful,
Marsha

On Fri, Aug 5, 2016 at 11:19 AM, Email list for the Illinois School
Library Media Association <islma at list.railslibraries.info> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm making the move to elementary school and I need to pick everyone's brain
> with how you facilitate both programs at your school.
>
> With the Monarch, do you read them aloud? Do you wait to read them until
> like after winter break so they can remember the titles?
>
> With bluestem, do you book talk them to each class? Since that is more
> independent, do you do a game board with them? Something else? Do something
> with Google Forms?
>
> If you wouldn't mind sharing anything, I would appreciate it!
>
> Allison
> reader4evr at gmail.com
>

> --
> Sent from mobile device. Please excuse any spelling or punctuation errors.

Marsha Stewart
Librarian

The Ancona School

4770 S. Dorchester Ave.