[ISLMA-Share] PERA Opt out form for School Librarian

Sun Aug 21 14:41:45 CDT 2016

As a member of my district's PERA Committee, I would like to share a few thoughts on this topic from what I've seen and heard so far...

Our District did not exempt (opt-out) any of our librarians--neither our elementary librarians that see assigned classes on a fixed schedule, nor our middle and high school librarians who do not have assigned classes.

As a committee we talked about whether they should be exempt.  Upon advice from legal counsel, the district (and the PERA committee) decided not to exempt any librarians. Our middle and high school librarians will show student growth based on their regular contact with students in collaboration with classroom teachers; this is also how our reading and math coaches (who are certified teachers and who do not have assigned classes) will show student growth.

Is everyone happy about this?  Probably not.  But after years and years of insisting (think Colorado study X 30) that we, as teacher-librarians have a significant impact on student learning, we finally have an opportunity to quantify it.  I, for one, do not think we should throw that opportunity away.

If you fervently make the case to opt out of showing student growth, you may also be laying the groundwork for your administration to wonder whether a certified teacher-librarian is needed in the position.  There are already some districts that have replaced certified teacher-librarians with contract librarians at the high school level.  I believe that the more one argues that they don't have to or shouldn't have to show student growth, the easier it may be for districts to replace a certified staff member with a contract position.

This is just my perspective...many may see this issue differently.  That's okay...but I do believe it's important to understand what the counter argument may be when we argue not to be included in student growth.

Best regards,

Lauren

Lauren Collen, MLIS

Librarian