[ISLMA-Share] Call number training

Thu Dec 1 11:46:20 CST 2016

I start my Kindergarteners and first graders with alphabetizing lessons and finding fiction books on the shelf.  I read a couple of books about organizing/alphabetizing first (“Alpha-beti’ and “ GoldiSocks and the Three Libearians” ) .  Then I explain how the library is setup and how everything is in order determined by the type of book.  When they lineup to leave, I have them line up in alphabetic order by last name as though they were books on a shelf.  The next class, after reviewing everything, I give them a card with a call number and title on it (I always make sure the books are actually where they should be first) and instruct the kids to find that book, turn it down on its spine, and put the card in it so it sticking out so I can find it later. Myself and any adult volunteering stand behind to help them find the book.   If they find the first one quickly, there are two more they can find.  Most kids are pretty good after their first two cards.  During the year, I will sometimes pull out the cards and have them do it just for practice.  When I later introduce the Dewey system, I use the cards again.

Betty Klein
Librarian
Avery Coonley School
Downers Grove, IL   60515
bklein at averycoonley.org

From: islma-bounces at list.railslibraries.info [mailto:islma-bounces at list.railslibraries.info] On Behalf Of Email list for the Illinois School Library Media Association
Sent: Thursday, December 1, 2016 11:17 AM
To: Email list for the Illinois School Library Media Association <islma at list.railslibraries.info>
Subject: [ISLMA-Share] Call number training

Good morning,
As I go from library to library in my district, I am seeing that a lot of students are struggling to find books, because they don't understand how call numbers work, and they don't really understand how to alphabetize, so even if they understand the concept of the call number, they cannot find the book in the labeled section.  What types of lessons do you do with students so they understand these concepts?  I am noticing this really K-12, so all types of lessons are welcome.
Thanks!
Jill Bennin