[ISLMA-Share] Lemont removing books?

Fri Dec 2 11:02:10 CST 2016

As a graduate of this school, I am stunned. I'm grateful this was not the
practice when I was a student.

On Fri, Dec 2, 2016 at 10:48 AM, Email list for the Illinois School Library

> I agree completely with Brian Andrusyk. That is always one of my first
> thoughts too, both as a parent and a teacher librarian. And why is it
> always sexuality that is stripped down to minutia and itemized as
> prohibited but not violence in general? Books with high levels of violent
> content are rarely questioned or complained about as long as it isn’t
> sexual violence. This drives me mental. If you are going to flag one type
> of content then you must flag all types. Punching, hitting, beating,
> killing, war, genocide; these are all serious things too and children will
> need guidance, explanations and help understanding it.
>

> Final thought is, how can someone ever, *ever* label a rape scene,
> especially of a child, as “porn”? Pornography is meant to entertain and
> titillate. A rape scene in Maya Angelou’s book, or Laurie Halse Anderson’s
> books, or the many, many other brave authors who have tried to shed light
> on date rape and rape culture is meant to do just that; shed light and
> expose a terrible wrong. Maya Angelou is telling her actual experience
> meant to educate and shed light on wrongs done to her. The only way to
> correct a wrong is to see the wrong in the first place.
>

> This stuff just makes my blood boil.
>

> *Kristen Rademacher*
>
> Librarian
>
> Eco Club Director
>
> 1 Book 1 Marist Director
>
> *Marist High School <http://www.marist.net/academics/arclibrary/>*
>
> 773.881.5356
>
> @1Book1Marist
>
> rademacher.kristen at marist.net

Barbra Miller
Learning Resource Center Facilitator
Troy Community Consolidated School District 30C

This electronic message (and any associated file
attachments) is intended only for the use of the individual
or entity to which it is addressed. It may contain privileged or
confidential information. Unauthorized review, forwarding,
printing, copying, or other distribution of this message is
strictly prohibited. If you received this message in error,
please promptly delete this message and notify the sender
by e-mail.