[ISLMA-Share] Lemont removing books?

Fri Dec 2 11:17:27 CST 2016

I think that it is important to recognize that in this instance, proper procedures for adding content to the curriculum was not followed and thus, this book was ripe for a challenge. Had the book been veted through the procedures in place, the supporters would have had a stronger case for keeping the book. A strong challenge policy that requires persons--both challengers and reviewers--to have read the entire work also helps keep material in the curriculum and on the shelves.

There will always be people who do not like material for one reason or another--religious viewpoint, sex, violence, language, etc.--and people who underestimate students and overestimate the impact of a single reading experience. I am a conservative (small c) parent, but I am not threathened by literature (translate as enlightened). I recognize that I am different and that others have different opinions about what is best for their children. As a parent, I appreciate when there are reading choices as opposed to assigned reading; as an educator, I realize that this can be problematic. It is unfortunate, that in this case, it escalated to this level. School boards who are elected officials often side with the electorate.

Gretchen Zaitzeff
Librarian
University High School
Normal, IL
________________________________
From: islma-bounces at list.railslibraries.info [islma-bounces at list.railslibraries.info] on behalf of Email list for the Illinois School Library Media Association [islma at list.railslibraries.info]
Sent: Friday, December 02, 2016 10:48 AM
To: islma at list.railslibraries.info
Subject: Re: [ISLMA-Share] Lemont removing books?

I agree completely with Brian Andrusyk. That is always one of my first thoughts too, both as a parent and a teacher librarian. And why is it always sexuality that is stripped down to minutia and itemized as prohibited but not violence in general? Books with high levels of violent content are rarely questioned or complained about as long as it isn’t sexual violence. This drives me mental. If you are going to flag one type of content then you must flag all types. Punching, hitting, beating, killing, war, genocide; these are all serious things too and children will need guidance, explanations and help understanding it.

Final thought is, how can someone ever, ever label a rape scene, especially of a child, as “porn”? Pornography is meant to entertain and titillate. A rape scene in Maya Angelou’s book, or Laurie Halse Anderson’s books, or the many, many other brave authors who have tried to shed light on date rape and rape culture is meant to do just that; shed light and expose a terrible wrong. Maya Angelou is telling her actual experience meant to educate and shed light on wrongs done to her. The only way to correct a wrong is to see the wrong in the first place.

This stuff just makes my blood boil.

Kristen Rademacher
Librarian
Eco Club Director