[ISLMA-Share] "Sad" books for middle schools

Wed Dec 21 12:57:31 CST 2016

Pax

*Peace,*

*Coni Stracner Teacher Librarian @SMS *
*​*
​
*I am reading: *
*​**A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith*
*I just finished reading: *
*​**A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Tool*
*I am listening to: ​​ Dandelion Wine by Ray Bradbury*
*Ask me about these books!*

*https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3l_dy8wzZuE&authuser=0
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3l_dy8wzZuE&authuser=0> *

On Wed, Dec 21, 2016 at 11:37 AM, Email list for the Illinois School
Library Media Association <islma at list.railslibraries.info> wrote:

> Stargirl
> 13 Reasons Why (for more mature readers)
> Almost Home
> Olive's Ocean
> We Were Liars
> A Taste of Blackberries (easier read)
>
> Classics
> Where the Red Fern Grows
> Old Yeller
> Bridge to Terabithia
> Walk Two Moons
>
> Christine
> LMS Garden Hills
>
> On Tue, Dec 20, 2016 at 3:54 PM, Email list for the Illinois School
> Library Media Association <islma at list.railslibraries.info> wrote:
>
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> I've got a bunch of 6th and 7th grade girls who have been asking for
>> "sad" books, so I thought I'd put a list/flyer/something together for
>> them.  What's popular with your middle school students?  I'm thinking of
>> books like:
>>
>> See You at Harry's
>> A Monster Calls
>> Ways to Live Forever
>> Mockingbird
>> Love, Aubrey
>> Slob
>> Red Kayak
>> The Secret Hum of a Daisy
>> Trouble
>> The Smell of Old Lady Perfume
>> Monster
>>
>> I've read most, but not all - if something doesn't belong, please let me
>> know!  If I get a bunch of responses, I'll post a summary for everyone.  (I
>> know there are a lot of sad books relating to WWII; I'm putting those on a
>> separate list.)
>>
>> Thanks so much for your thoughts,   :)
>>
>> Susie Narkis
>> District Librarian, Berkeley School District 87
>> (708) 449-3262 (MacArthur Middle School)
>> snarkis at berkeley87.org
>>
>> Currently Reading: Into the Lion's Den by Linda Fairstein
>>
>> *This email message is intended only for the person to whom it is
>> addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any
>> unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is
>> prohibited.Communication sent or received by Berkeley School District 87
>> may be subject to inspection under the Illinois Freedom of Information Act
>> (FOIA). *

NOTICE OF CONFIDENTIALITY: The information contained in this email
transmission is confidential information which may contain information that
is privileged. The information is intended solely for the use of the
individual or entity named above. Access, copying or re-use of the e-mail
or any attachment, or any information contained therein, by any other
person is not authorized. If you are not the intended recipient, you are
hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or taking of any
action in reliance on the contents of this email transmission is strictly
prohibited. If you have received this email transmission in error, please
return the e-mail to the sender and delete it from your computer. Although
we attempt to sweep e-mail and attachments for viruses, we do not guarantee
that either are virus-free and accept no liability for any damage from
viruses.