[ISLMA-Share] Funding Makerspaces - donations from parents?

Thu Jul 28 13:34:41 CDT 2016

We didn't do a letter, but in the principal's weekly newsletter, she asked
for the donations. Parents were generous. One parent was crafty and had a
connection to JoAnn Fabrics...we got lots of goodies, including a sewing
machine!

I was also specific...I asked for wood for string art activities and one
day I walked in the library and I had these great wooden boards. BTW...if
you do this activity you should use carpet tacks - they work great!

We have a wonderful PTO that gives us the opportunity to ask for their help
in purchasing items that are outside the normal budgets. Perhaps you could
go to your PTA/PTO president or go to a meeting and explain what you are
trying to do and what you need.  You'd be surprised...you might get a
parent that will volunteer to do a project!

Hope this helps!

Linda

“Everything good, everything magical happens between the months of June and
August.”
—Jenny Han, *The Summer I Turned Pretty*
Linda M. Polak, MLIS
Director of Library/Information Services
Sunset Ridge School (Grades 4-8)
525 Sunset Ridge Road
Northfield, IL 60093
polakl at sunsetridge29.org
(847-881-9449)
Fax: 847-446-6388

On Thu, Jul 28, 2016 at 12:57 PM, Email list for the Illinois School
Library Media Association <islma at list.railslibraries.info> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I was was given a space to try and get a makerspace up and running in my
> library for the next school year.  I am super excited, however the question
> has come about asking for donations from parents. (Things like, paper towel
> rolls, markers, pencils, straws, etc - nothing “tech-y”).
>
> Can any of you share is you have asked for donations from parents for a
> makerspace?  We are a middle-upper class school district.  If any of you
> out there are from a similar demographic, and would share if a donation
> letter has been successful or well-recieved, that would help me make a case
> to the administration.
>
> Thanks for your help,
> Keri Johnson
> kjohnson at d70schools.org
> --
> To ensure that District 70 students experience learning that prepares them
> to live and work in the 21st Century

*This e-mail message contains information that may be privileged
or confidential and is the property of the Sunset Ridge School District. It
is intended only for the person(s) to whom it is addressed. If you are not
the intended recipient of this message, you are not authorized to read,
print, retain, copy, disseminate, distribute, or use this message or any
part thereof. If you have received this message in error, please notify the
sender immediately and delete all copies of this message.*