[ISLMA-Share] Funding Makerspaces - donations from parents?

Thu Jul 28 16:50:00 CDT 2016

Ask, as others have said. I asked my  church members for toilet paper and
paper towel rolls and two weeks later I have donations. They seemed glad to
be able to re-purpose something that was to be thrown away or recycled. I
have also gone to Goodwill and found things very inexpensive. I plan to ask
the principal to put in a request in his monthly local newspaper article.
It never hurts to ask.
Stephanie McKinley-Miller
Abingdon-Avon Middle and Elementary School Librarian

On 7/28/16, 12:57 PM, "Email list for the Illinois School Library Media
Association" <islma at list.railslibraries.info> wrote:

> Hi all,

I was was given a space to try and get a makerspace up and running
> in my library for the next school year.  I am super excited, however the
> question has come about asking for donations from parents. (Things like, paper
> towel rolls, markers, pencils, straws, etc - nothing ³tech-y²).

Can any of
> you share is you have asked for donations from parents for a makerspace?  We
> are a middle-upper class school district.  If any of you out there are from a
> similar demographic, and would share if a donation letter has been successful
> or well-recieved, that would help me make a case to the
> administration.

Thanks for your help,
Keri
kjohnson at d70schools.org