[ISLMA-Share] Projects/Activites related to Service Animals and/or Volunteering

Thu Jun 2 21:44:08 CDT 2016

This summer my principal is allowing me to have my elementary library open
for two hours on Wednesday afternoons for the second year in a row. Each
week a teacher volunteers to read and chooses a theme. I choose a book and
have a snack and several activities prepared related to that theme. It's
mostly an open house type event, except when the teacher reads.

My first event is next week. The teacher who volunteered wants to read
*Mogie* about a dog that keeps sick kids at Ronald McDonald House company.
She chose the amazing theme of service animals and volunteering.

*I'm having trouble coming up with engaging activities that will work with
a wide variety of ages that relate to this theme! Do you have any ideas?*

So far I've come up with:

   - Operation Happy Sock - take a sock, fill with fiberfill and catnip,
   tie, donate to animal shelter
   - make a tie blanket to donate to animal shelter
   - no sew fleece tug rope for dogs
   - I found a couple of info graphics about service animals that I could
   print out to make bookmarks, but not interactive
   - I thought about a blind trust walk, with one partner blind folded, the
   other showing them around, but not great for all ages, and is it
   appropriate? Am I comparing people to dogs?

Help!
Pam

--
Ms. Pamela L. Meiser