[ISLMA-Share] Follett eBooks

Thu Mar 17 13:43:33 CDT 2016

We have Follett ebooks and, with parental permission, I encourage students to download the Brytewave K-12 app to their own device.  They can read/listen on their phones, iPads, tablets, etc.  I send a note home with the kids explaining how it works and for the students to download the app to their device at home with their parents’ permission (some of their parents have the apps download feature blocked on their kids’ devices, as they should).  I hold workshops for kids to demonstrate how to check out items from their FollettShelf account and then read them on the app.  Our school is not 1:1 and we are also not BYOD, but many of our kids do carry devices to school that are left in their locker and only used when given permission.  As we incorporate more books on FollettShelf, some teachers are allowing kids to read on their devices during SSR if they show the teacher the book on their app.

Our ebook and audiobook use is starting to increase as more kids are aware and the Brytewave app has gotten more friendly over the past couple of years.  Students who do not have access to their own portable device can also access the Follett ebooks through FollettShelf on a PC, laptop, Chromebook, or iPad when in class or at home.  I used to have 90 Kindles to check out to students through the library and that was disastrous, so I have no intention of checking out a “device” to kids to read on.  My focus is on availability of books for their own devices.

Most of our kids prefer a print book in their hand anyway.

Jeanne Brucher
Teacher-Librarian
jbrucher at geneseoschools.org <mailto:jbrucher at geneseoschools.org>
Geneseo Middle School (309) 945-0524