[ISLMA-Share] books on modern day forms of slavery/servitude

Thu Mar 17 14:40:29 CDT 2016

The Bitter Side of Sweet by Tara Sullivan – just came out last month

Michelle Glatt
Librarian
Middle School IMC Curriculum Chair
Chiddix and Evans Junior High Schools
Bloomington-Normal, IL
glattml at unit5.org<mailto:glattml at unit5.org>

From: islma-bounces at list.railslibraries.info [mailto:islma-bounces at list.railslibraries.info] On Behalf Of Email list for the Illinois School Library Media Association
Sent: Thursday, March 17, 2016 1:54 PM
To: islma at list.railslibraries.info
Subject: [ISLMA-Share] books on modern day forms of slavery/servitude

Hi All,
I am looking for middle school appropriate books on current day child labor, forced labor, and domestic servitude. They are for a 7th grade unit on slavery around the world. I would appreciate any book suggestions you have. We are trying to stay away from sex trafficking.

So far we have come up with:
I Am a Taxi,
Diamond Boy
Boys Without Names
Sacred Leaf
Hidden Girl: The True Story of a Modern Day Child Slave
Queen of Water

Thanks,
Sally

--
Sally Duffy
Media Resource Center Director

"Action without vision is only passing time, vision without action is merely day dreaming, but vision with action can change the world."
-Nelson Mandela

E-MAIL CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: Illinois has a very broad public records law. Most written communications (including email) to or from school district officials and staff are public records available to the public and media upon request. Your email communications may therefore be subject to public disclosure. Community Consolidated School District 181