[ISLMA-Share] Cataloging/Circulation system on near zero budget?

Fri Mar 18 12:31:28 CDT 2016

Hi,

What cataloging/circulation systems would you recommend for a very small
school library with almost no budget?

I'm an MLIS-degreed parent-volunteer at my daughter's school library, in a
very small, private Montessori school (pre-K - 8).  The library has no
librarian, no circulation system, and no cataloging system.  It is run
entirely by parent volunteers. (Don't get me started).

Our most urgent priority is to catalog the collection and get a functioning
circulation system.  We don't have a computer but we could probably get a
parent to donate one or to donate an iPad for library use.

Is there anything we could do an on iPad that would help us to capture the
metadata for the books we have (e.g. by scanning ISBNs?) with the camera
and then use that in conjunction with a circulation system?  Student body
is approx 400 students.

I work primarily with academic libraries so I don't even know where to
start with this!  Help!

Thank you!

Maria Ziemer