[ISLMA-Share] Battle of the Books

Lura O'Phelan ophelanl at skokie69.net
Thu May 12 13:03:26 CDT 2016

I'm a district librarian and have been asked by our middle school ELA team
to work with them in developing what may end up being an elective-type
class next year based around Battle of the Books (to be lead by an ELA
teacher). The class would consist mainly of high readers and would meet
2-3x/wk (they're on a Block Schedule).

I haven't been involved in a Battle of the Books, and I definitely haven't
heard of it being implemented in this way--but I am so happy that I've been
invited to work with the ELA team, I'll do anything to make it work! They
are leaning toward using one of the official Battle of the Books lists and
resources (especially since it's the first time for all of us), which I am
assuming are structured more around a weekly gathering of participants.

Have any of you been involved in or heard of something like this? Any
suggestions as to how we could stretch this out so that students are
actively engaged each time they meet? So far, the only thing I've come up
with is using some class time to for reading and notetaking. I figured
before I begin possibly re-inventing the wheel, I would ask the collective
brain!

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

--
*Mrs. Lura O'Phelan*