[ISLMA-Share] Checking out books for the summer

Erin Wyatt ejdwyatt at gmail.com
Mon May 16 08:11:56 CDT 2016

Hi Jill (and all),
We started a program like this last year, and it was a big success.
Students could take up to 10 books - we had a couple exceptions when
parental permission was given.

No problems with returns or losses over the summer.
The feedback was only positive.
We bought reusable bags and labeled them with our school name and had
students take those as well to hold and store their books.
Next step might be looking at a date to have the library open for book
exchange during the summer.

I made sure to invite/remind faculty to take advantage of this program too.

Here's the doc with our permission slip -
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1RIzZcLBxE2jrLPHrcxDlUIURj2BTwkMQNOfhP87iknY/edit?usp=sharing

Here's a note we give to students to remind them about their materials and
how to check status -
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Q2tHffoDrXww-u7KweZn_TyRXvx-SIdi9zv3UIIvooU/edit?usp=sharing

Best,
Erin

On Mon, May 16, 2016 at 7:03 AM, Jill Berry <jmberry5 at gmail.com> wrote:

> This summer my school is going to offer families the option of checking
> out up to 10 books for the summer. (I might be crazy, but I can't see
> keeping them locked up, especially since a large percentage of my students
> do not qualify for a public library card unless they purchase it for about
> $350.)
>
> Do any of you check out books for the summer?
> Please share your guidelines, permission slip, and advice.
>
> There is a blog post about checking out books for the summer at
> https://readingbyexample.com/. (May 13, 2016 post)
>
> Thanks for any advice!
>
> Jill Berry
> Elm School