[ISLMA-Share] School History Archives

Wed May 18 13:02:19 CDT 2016

Hello,

This email has quite a few questions to it. If you can answer all or any of them, it would be greatly appreciated.

Recently our district office received a 100 year old quarterly booklet that our high school used to produce. It was donated by someone who found it tucked away in their attic. Our administration would like to start a school history archive.

There will be more items to come ( not just documents, but possible items like old letter jackets and such) and eventually become a bigger collection, so here are my questions:

Does anyone have this type of collection at their school?

If so, how do you maintain it? Who maintains the collection?

How are the items protected? Climate controlled room (cost of that)? Is there a company that prepares old documents in order to prevent disintegration?

How is it displayed? A case? An entire room?

Who can access it and is it used or looked at often, if ever?

Do you have the items catalogued in your library system? If so, how? (I wouldn't think outing barcodes on these items is an option.)

Lastly, what drawbacks can you see to having this in a school library?

Thank you!

Jennifer Brady
Learning Resource Center Director
West Chicago Community High School