[ISLMA-Share] Tao Tronics inventory scanner help

Wed May 18 14:33:54 CDT 2016

Maybe I'm misinterpreting your problem, but do you basically need to
truncate some extra digits off the end of some of the values your new
scanner is reading?

If that is what you need to do, try this.  Scan everything and dump it into
an Excel document.  Have all your scanner values in one column (A), then
insert a blank column next to it (B).  The formula you will want to put in
column B is =LEFT(A1, X) , where X is the number of digits you are supposed
to have in your barcode.

For example, if your scanner was reading 1234567890000 and was inserting 4
extraneous digits at the end, =LEFT(A1,9) would return 123456789.  Cells
that are already 9 digits long would remain unchanged.

Hope that helps!

On Wed, May 18, 2016 at 12:55 PM, Email list for the Illinois School
Library Media Association <islma at list.railslibraries.info> wrote:

> I need some help with scanning for inventory!
>
> I bought some new scanners, the Tao Tronics laser bar code scanner.
>
> It seems that some of my bar codes are not set up the same and not all of
> them are being recognized.  The difference looks to be from newer and older
> bar codes.
>
> It looks like some have extra digits at the end, so when I remove them
> from the scanner, we are good with those books, but then the other book bar
> codes are not recognized.
>
> This has turned into a huge pain.
> If anyone has ANY tips or suggestions they can throw my way, I would
> really appreciate it.
>

> Mariela Siegert
> School Librarian
> Westfield Middle School