[ISLMA-Share] CALL TO ACTION

Wed May 18 17:28:36 CDT 2016

Last week, AASL leadership met with the Deputy Assistant Secretary, Office
of Elementary and Secondary Education, Dr. Monique Chism in relation to
ESSA and school libraries. The ALA Washington office has also engaged in
the DOE ESSA 'listening sessions' on the behalf of AASL and school
libraries.

As part of this engagement and transparency, the USDOE has clarified that
they are interested in library-specific, general and real-world examples on
the following topics:*Digital Learning, Personalized Learning, Blended
Learning, Openly-Licensed Educational Resources, and Well-Rounded Education*
.

Please help us advocate for school libraries. Provide, through this easy
online form, your very brief examples of one, some, or all of the ESSA
education vocabulary.

Also critical is the need for you to share this request with your region,
state, and local constituents. The more examples we collect and provide,
the more powerful our message for the power and transformative nature of
school libraries.

*Time is critical, so please follow this link and provide feedback
before May 31: http://www.ala.org/aasl/exemplars
<http://www.ala.org/aasl/exemplars>*

As ESSA continues to be unpacked and evolves, we are at a critical juncture
and it is imperative that you and the school librarians in your region
continue to engage and contribute when we send out a call for assistance.

 Thank you for all you do to help your students and community.

 Leslie Preddy, 2015-2016 AASL President
Angela L. Green, President
Illinois School Library Media Association (ISLMA)
PO Box 1326
Galesburg, IL 61402-1326
Personal Cell: 309-397-1087

ISLMA's Mission:* "**To empower the school library information profession
by fostering leadership, education, and collaboration with other
educators."*