[ISLMA-Share] Law for book checkout record

Thu May 19 13:34:43 CDT 2016

Here is a link to ALA Library Privacy Guidelines for Students in K-12 Schools,  http://www.ala.org/advocacy/library-privacy-guidelines-students-k-12-schools. This is what I refer to when I teach library grad classes and this topic comes up.
This is what ALA says about privacy and our students. You should refer to this for understanding of students rights to privacy, and know what the laws are. Part of this is left to your interpretation. If you have an issue that involves your principal, then you need to share this information with him/her, and discuss how to handle the issue. Of course, your boss is your principal and the school board. Sometimes, what they say you need to follow.

Bonita Slovinski
LRC Director
Lincoln Jr. High School
Naperville CUSD #203

The library is the temple of learning, and learning has liberated more people than all of the wars in history. Carl Thomas Rowan

From: islma-bounces at list.railslibraries.info [mailto:islma-bounces at list.railslibraries.info] On Behalf Of Email list for the Illinois School Library Media Association
Sent: Thursday, May 19, 2016 11:48 AM
To: islma at list.railslibraries.info
Subject: Re: [ISLMA-Share] Law for book checkout record

I totally agree and I wish professors,  who are teaching future librarians, not give out inaccurate information.

Which is why I am seeking out the help of you wonderful folks!

☺

“Some old-fashioned things like fresh air and sunshine are hard to beat.”
–Laura Ingalls Wilder
Linda M. Polak, MLIS
Director of Library/Information Services
Sunset Ridge School (Grades 4-8)
525 Sunset Ridge Road
Northfield, IL 60093
polakl at sunsetridge29.org<mailto:polakl at sunsetridge29.org>