[ISLMA-Share] AR level vs Content -- PD Session

Fri May 20 09:32:00 CDT 2016

Morning -

I was asked to think of a topic that I can help teach at a PD session here in my district.

One thing I struggle with, and many people have said the same thing here, but the whole AR book level vs content. And I wanted to reach out to see if anyone has taught this before, if they have some information to share with me.

We do AR at both Elementary and Middle schools and we struggle with the reading level vs the content - A LOT. I have some elementary books that are being purchased that the reading level is 2.4 but the content is too high and fit more of a middle school content area. I want to be proactive about this. I also have middle school teachers who are saying books are within range, but the content is very much high school. I want to teach them that not everything is about AR book levels but about content as well. Leading into --- can you guess --- that you need someone who is educated to be running these types of things.

How do I find the balance?

Friday thoughts...Perhaps your last???

Amy Stefanski
District Libranian
Dunlap School District
astefanski at dunlapcusd.net<mailto:astefanski at dunlapcusd.net>
@LibranSki    @AmyNSTEM

Disclaimer: Your transmission of electronic mail to this address represents your consent to two-way communication by Internet e-mail. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer on which it exists.