[ISLMA-Share] Law for book checkout record

Fri May 20 12:02:32 CDT 2016

I believe this link is the current law:
http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/ilcs3.asp?ActID=1004&ChapterID=16

It is fairly straight forward and clear.

Sincerely,

Alan, Librarian serving Brooks Middle School

"What a school thinks about its library is a measure of what it thinks about education."
- Harold Howe, former U.S. Commissioner of Education

From: islma-bounces at list.railslibraries.info [mailto:islma-bounces at list.railslibraries.info] On Behalf Of Email list for the Illinois School Library Media Association
Sent: Friday, May 20, 2016 11:29 AM
To: Email list for the Illinois School Library Media Association
Subject: Re: [ISLMA-Share] Law for book checkout record

In K-6, I let students know that their check-outs are not private. Teachers will have the overdue list weekly and parents will be given titles in any billings.   In 7th & 8th (middle school), I let them know that their check-outs are private until the end of the year when I send final bills with titles attached. The student will have received several overdue notices and had a chance to talk to me, if needed, before that bill is sent to parents.

In 9-12th, all check-outs are private, including final billing.  If a parent calls asking for the name of the book, I refer them to their student: "Due to privacy policies, you'll need to ask your son/daughter.  However, I'll go find him/her today and make sure he/she knows the title."

I've never had a problem in any of my buildings. These policies are all outlined in the Student Handbook that parents sign for at Registration.

Michelle Harris
harrism at husd4.org<mailto:harrism at husd4.org>
Heyworth CUSD #4