[ISLMA-Share] Blogging

Thu Nov 3 11:32:16 CDT 2016

     We started a library book blog on Google Classroom last year as part
of our annual reading contest. I encourage students to post what book
they've read from the school library (using the book's title at the top of
their post) and a little something they liked or didn't like about it. We
serve grades 6-12 in our building, but it's just for grades 7-12.
     Some kids have really gotten into posting and like learning what's
good (and not good) to borrow from the library.  Not everyone gets into it,
but I see it as just one more vehicle to generate conversations about
literature and ideas. Teachers and staff can view the blog, too, so that
helps keep the posts school-appropriate and respectful. Since I give out
fun-size candy bars to those who post something worthwhile, some are drawn
in just for the snack! Still, the blog is a time-consumer for me. You have
to monitor it daily, and sometimes I'm too busy with more important library
work. :)
     Every now and then I send out a question - like "what was your
favorite book you read this summer" or "what scary book do you recommend
for Halloween?" However, the responses pile up under the question and
aren't as easy to view as basic blog posts.
    Overall I think it's been a positive experience, but I'm not sure if
I'll keep it going year after year.
:) Kathy

On Wed, Nov 2, 2016 at 9:43 AM, Email list for the Illinois School Library

> Anyone do a blog with their students?  I am planning on starting this
> tomorrow with my 8th graders.  What do you use as your dialogue?
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> Deanne Guccione, Librarian
> Pleasant Plains Middle School
> dguccione at ppcusd8.org
> Currently Reading:  Inheriting Edith
> [image: 28594365]
> Just finished:  Turning 15 on the Road to Freedom
> [image: 22504709]

*Kathy Sullivan*
*Princeville Junior Senior High School*
*P.C.U.S.D. #326*
*302 Cordis Avenue, **Princeville, IL  61559*
*309.385-4660  x1574*
*ksullivan at princeville326.org <ksullivan at princeville326.org> *

*"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to
stop reading them."  **- Ray Bradbury*