[ISLMA-Share] High School Libraries: Lunch Students

Tue Nov 8 13:29:55 CST 2016

This is a very timely discussion! I was just talking with a teacher about
this issue last period.

A few years ago we began allowing food with the caveat that if the library
was not clean after a period, that period would lose the right to have
food. We had to get lots of big garbage cans and the mouse population was
very happy with our decision.

We were remodeled in Summer of 15 and the principal has stated that there
is to be no food in the Academic Resource Center. Water in a closed
container only. It can be a battle. I feel like I am the food police many
periods - if a student is caught eating, they are asked to leave. With some
students (fewer this year) it becomes a game of "Will she hear me tear the
wrapper?" , "Can I hide the food in my hoodie pocket?" etc.

I have found that being consistent and vigilant for a few months has made a
difference. I also took away most of the garbage cans. I have a recycle bin
and a can near my desk. The students really don't leave their garbage
around the ARC.

Katie Alexander
John Hersey High School
Arlington Heights, IL

On Tue, Nov 8, 2016 at 1:06 PM, Email list for the Illinois School Library