[ISLMA-Share] High School Libraries: Lunch Students

Tue Nov 8 13:56:48 CST 2016

Our tray rule makes the variation. If you have food that needs a tray---it
stays in the cafeteria. This way there is no evaluative decision about how
messy or not messy something is. If it's on a tray, it can't come in.

Leah Krippner
Librarian, Harlem High School
I am currently reading *I'll Give You the Sun* by Jandy Nelson

On Tue, Nov 8, 2016 at 1:21 PM, Email list for the Illinois School Library

> Thanks , Gretchen. When you say limited food, what rules of thumb or
> official rules do you use? We implemented a finger food/no hot lunch plan
> last year and it went alright. This year, though, it has become a problem.
> Due to losing staffing, we are not able to monitor it as closely.
>
> On Tue, Nov 8, 2016 at 1:13 PM, Email list for the Illinois School Library
> Media Association <islma at list.railslibraries.info> wrote:
>
>> We did for one semester, but thought better of it after finding food and
>> trash everywhere. When we found moldy apples in the stacks during summer
>> inventory, that was the end. We also had problems with vermin during a
>> period of less than stellar custodial services. It was really hard to
>> manage--in my opinion--so we went back to limited food in the library, no
>> lunches. It took four years to break the habit, but it's been worth it. Now
>> students come to the library after eating lunch.
>>

>> I like it so much better.
>>

>> Gretchen Zaitzeff
>> University High School
>>
>> Normal, IL
>> ------------------------------
>> *From:* islma-bounces at list.railslibraries.info [
>> islma-bounces at list.railslibraries.info] on behalf of Email list for the
>> Illinois School Library Media Association [islma at list.railslibraries.info
>> ]
>> *Sent:* Tuesday, November 08, 2016 1:06 PM
>> *To:* islma at list.railslibraries.info
>> *Subject:* [ISLMA-Share] High School Libraries: Lunch Students
>>
>> Good Afternoon,
>>
>> If you allow lunch students to eat in your library, or have in the past
>> and reverted back to not allowing food, I am interested in hearing about
>> your rules and experiences. Thank you in advance.
>>

>> --
>> *Jennifer Brady*
>> Library Director
>> West Chicago Community High School
>> 326 Joliet Street
>> West Chicago, IL
>> 630-876-640*0*
>> jbrady at d94.org

> *Jennifer Brady*
> Library Director
> West Chicago Community High School
> 326 Joliet Street
> West Chicago, IL
> 630-876-640*0*
> jbrady at d94.org

This email was sent by a staff member of Harlem Consolidated School
District 122.