[ISLMA-Share] Alternative to Accelerated Reader

Mon Nov 14 10:06:19 CST 2016

I tried to get my teachers to try the readnquiz this year, and that did not
go over well.  I looked at it a lot last year, and it seemed like a very
comparable option that is much cheaper.  Unfortunately, my teachers really
wanted to stick with AR.  We did make the decision to drop the STAR
component which saved us a lot of money.  At our school, every student K-8
takes the MAP test which gives them a LEXILE score, and I found a chart
online that will convert the Lexile to Accelerated Reader levels.  This way
the students can still read books at the appropriate level and take AR
tests without us having to spend money on STAR, and because our students
already take the MAP test 3 times a year, it's one less test for the
students to take during the year.

On Mon, Nov 14, 2016 at 8:42 AM, Email list for the Illinois School Library

> This is one option that other schools have explored. I have not been able
> to get our teachers to use/try anything but AR. The price increases and
> minimum seat purchase are also a concern here.
>
> http://readnquiz.com/schooledition.html
>
> On Mon, Nov 14, 2016 at 8:37 AM, Email list for the Illinois School
> Library Media Association <islma at list.railslibraries.info> wrote:
>
>> I know this has been discussed before but I couldn't find it in the new
>> archives, so please forgive the repetition.  What are other districts using
>> instead of Accelerated Reader?  We currently use AR for K-8 but are feeling
>> uncomfortable with the price increases the last couple years.  Have you
>> found any successful alternatives that are more affordable?  Thanks in
>> advance!
>>
>> --
>> Katrina Quattlander
>> District Librarian
>> Pana CUSD #8

> *Mary Richars*
>
> Librarian/Teacher
>
> Dieterich CU #30
>

> Google can bring you back 100,000 answers, a librarian can bring you back
> the right one. Neil Gaiman

*Stephanie Flott*

Dwight Township High School            Dwight Grade School
801 S. Franklin St.                             801 S. Columbia St.
Dwight, IL 60420                               Dwight, IL 60420
815-584-6293                                    815-584-6239