[ISLMA-Share] Chromebooks vs Touchscreen Chromebooks

Tue Nov 15 15:42:07 CST 2016

My elementary school went with one cart of Touchscreen chromebooks for the
Kindergarten because we felt perhaps 5 year olds who couldn't read would be
more likely to be able to manipulate a touchscreen.  After a year of
observation, we have learned that at first this is true, but as the
students become more comfortable with using trackpads and keyboard, they
are MUCH more likely to use the touchscreen.  By the end of Kindergarten,
they rarely use it much at all.  We've determined that we'll never buy
another touchscreen Chrome. The initial benefits don't last and aren't, in
the long run, worth the extra $$$.

One other drawback is that students who use both (touchscreen and
non-touch) spend a lot of time being reminded "don't touch the screen! this
one you're using today isn't a touchscreen!"

I can only imagine that this would be greatly magnified at the HS level.
Most of the programs, apps, extensions, and add-ons do not REQUIRE touch,
so most students have no NEED for it. Since it isn't faster, it isn't used.
  The one thing we did learn with older students and Chromebooks is that
many needed initial lessons in how to effectively use a trackpad (like the
two-finger-touch since you can't "right-click").  Students who got used to
a trackpad tend to prefer them, others couldn't get used to them and bought
themselves a wireless mouse.

Hope this helps.

Michelle Harris
District Librarian
Heyworth CUSD #4

On Tue, Nov 15, 2016 at 3:16 PM, Email list for the Illinois School Library

> My high school is looking into the possibility of adding another
> Chromebook Cart into circulation and we have the option to go with the
> standard Dell Chromebook like we already have or upgrade to Touchscreen
> Chromebooks (for an additional price of course). I was just curious if
> anyone else has purchased or uses the Touchscreen Chromebook and if anyone
> has found advantages/disadvantages between the two. Thanks for the feedback!
>
> Staci Thompson
>
> This transmission is intended and restricted for use by the above
> addressee only and may contain CONFIDENTIAL AND/OR PRIVILEGED INFORMATION
> WHICH MAY BE EXEMPT FROM DISCLOSURE UNDER FEDERAL OR STATE LAW. Any
> unauthorized review, use, dissemination, distribution, downloading, or
> copying of this communication or any of its attachments is strictly
> immediately notify the listed sender by reply email, and take necessary
> steps to delete the file from your system and destroy any hard copies of
> this transmission.

Michelle Harris
District Librarian
Heyworth CUSD #4