[ISLMA-Share] Teen Book Clubs

Tue Nov 29 07:25:23 CST 2016

My school saw an immediate increase in the numbers for our book club when
we changed the name to Varsity Reading Team (because book clubs are
something that moms do, apparently). The students vote 2 months in advance
on what they'd like to read (giving us enough time to get additional copies
via ILL and for the students to actually read them), and since we meet
before school, I bring in donuts. We also only meet once a month, and while
the voted book is usually where the conversation starts, there's a tendency
to go on tangents, so I encourage students to come even if they haven't
read the book because they can still share what they've been reading
instead with the rest of the group. It's still a small group - only about
10 kids - but they are enthusiastic!

Monica Fumarolo
Librarian
Lake Forest High School
Lake Forest, IL

On Mon, Nov 28, 2016 at 3:09 PM, Email list for the Illinois School Library

> Anyone have ideas/suggestions on how to get teens more willing to be
> involved in a monthly book club?
>
> --
> Crystal Ballard
> District Librarian
> School District of Beloit
> 1225 Fourth St
> Beloit, WI 53511
> 608-361-3230

Monica L. Fumarolo
B.A. - English, Secondary School Teaching
M.S. - Library and Information Science