[ISLMA-Share] math principles in picture books

Wed Oct 5 12:53:00 CDT 2016

Hello!

Our fifth grade teachers are hoping to pair their eight principles of math
connected to the common core with a picture book for each principle.  I
thought I would check in with the group and see if you could help me
identify some titles that might be useful. For example, Justify and
Critique might be a nice pairing with *The Day the Crayons Quit. *  Let me
know if you have any suggestions.  I very much appreciate it and know my
colleagues will too!

Katie

Understand & Persevere (I can make sense of problems and not give up when
trying to solve them.)

Logic & Reasoning (I can use words, numbers, logic, and reasoning skills to
help me solve problems,)

Justify & Critique (I can justify my strategies and evaluate if the ideas
of others make sense.)

Model w/ Math (I can clearly show my work using diagrams, words, symbols,
and pictures.)

Utilize Patterns (I can find and use mathematical patterns to help me solve
a problem.)

Utilize Structure (I can use the structure of a problem to help me find the
answer.)

Attend to Precision (I can review my calculations and strategies to see if
they are correct.)

Strategically Use Tools (I can select and use the appropriate tools to help
me solve problems.)