[ISLMA-Share] Copyright question

Tue Oct 18 09:18:39 CDT 2016

How much of the text is she reading?  If it is only a portion of the text
she may be legal according to fair use law - copied from
http://www.bitlaw.com/copyright/fair_use.html#fair_use and pasted below:

The Fair Use Statute

The doctrine of fair use developed over the years as courts tried to
balance the rights of copyright owners with society's interest in allowing
copying in certain, limited circumstances. This doctrine has at its core a
fundamental belief that not all copying should be banned, particularly in
socially important endeavors such as criticism, news reporting, teaching,
and research.

Although the doctrine of fair use was originally created by the judiciary,
it is now set forth in the Copyright Act
<http://www.bitlaw.com/source/17usc/107.html>. Under the Act, four factors
are to be considered in order to determine whether a specific action is to
be considered a "fair use." These factors are as follows:

   1. the purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is
   of commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes;
   2. the nature of the copyrighted work;
   3. the amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the
   copyrighted work as a whole; and
   4. the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the
   copyrighted work.

Karen Varga

Marian Central Catholic High School

On Mon, Oct 17, 2016 at 2:49 PM, Email list for the Illinois School Library