[ISLMA-Share] Catalogging Help

Mon Oct 24 07:49:04 CDT 2016

For graphic novels, we call them Graphic Readers because our collection includes both novels and nonfiction.  The term was less confusing for students who learned that novels are fiction.  We catalog with the general GR heading, then use F for fiction or the usual nonfiction number.  We do not use the 741 call number at all.  For mythology, we use 292.
                GR                          GR
                F                              292
                HOR                       SMI

We also add the volume number if there is a series.
                GR
                HOR

                v. 1

Laura H. Meehan
Licensed Teacher/Librarian
Thurgood Marshall School
Rockford, IL
School:  815-490-5400 l 34009
meehanl at rps205.com<mailto:meehanl at rps205.com>

Finished reading:  Fish in a tree by Lynda Mullaly Hunt
Currently reading:  Night gardener by Jonathan Auxier
Reading next:   The great trouble : a mystery of London, the blue death, and a boy called Eel by Deborah Hopkinson

From: Email list for the Illinois School Library Media Association [mailto:islma at list.railslibraries.info]
Sent: Friday, October 21, 2016 3:38 PM
To: Email list for the Illinois School Library Media Association
Subject: [ISLMA-Share] Catalogging Help

Hi all,

I confess...I don't do much in the way of cataloging books (I have an associate, thank goodness).

But we are recatalogging our graphic novels from all 741.5 to a call number that says either:

GN         OR           GN
741.5                 dewey # for content
AUT                        AUT

So that we have fiction and non-ficiton GN call numbers in one GN area.

But, I am having trouble with graphic novels for Mythology.  The publishers say 741.5, but shouldn't it be 883?

Please advise!  TIA!

--
Sincerely,
Amy Hamernick

"If we always do what we've always done,
we will get what we've always got."
~Adam Urbanski~