[ISLMA-Share] Student Volunteers

Fri Oct 28 08:12:12 CDT 2016

Our high school's Silver Service program requires students to have 400
hours of community service in order to receive a silver cord for their
graduation robes, a certificate, and mention on their transcripts.
Volunteers in the LMC, counseling center, or main office earn 1/2 hour for
every period worked as their primary goal is still studying.  As you can
imagine, the few volunteer opportunities during the school day are highly
prized.

I have used an application process for years, and the LMC waiting list is
usually 80+ students long (enrollment 950).  The application asks about
previous volunteer experiences in middle school and high school,
availability during study hall, before school, and after school, ability to
converse in Spanish (I try to have bilingual students during two periods a
day), and reasons for wanting to work in the LMC.  ("I hate my crowded
study hall" is just not good enough.)

I hire two students per period and up to two students per before school and
after school (20-25 students per semester).  Before and after school are
perfect for some students because they need their study halls and 1 hour =
1 hour.  Schedules are flexible, too, so one student might work MWF
mornings, while another only Tuesday afternoons.  Each shift has specific
shelving and/or display and bulletin board duties.

   - I do not hire freshmen for study hall periods as they have a guided
   study hall and must be present.
   - Students must keep grades of a C or better.
   - Students may only have one in-school suspension or similar discipline
   action during the semester they work in the LMC.
   - The counselors often refer students who need a place to belong or work
   with social skills to our waiting list.
   - Each student works for one semester and then goes back on the waiting
   list.
   - The exception would be drivers ed. students who only work one quarter.
   - Students understand that they may be on the list for a year or more
   before it's their turn due to available study halls, grades, etc.

We have training at the beginning of each semester and shelving
competitions for prizes throughout the semester between the periods that
builds teamwork among the pairs.  I've never had a student confront me
about not being chosen to volunteer, but I have fielded many calls from
employers who want to know how well students worked during their shifts in
the LMC.

Hope this helps!

Ann Marie Jinkins
Librarian