[ISLMA-Share] silent reading

Fri Sep 2 08:19:04 CDT 2016

We have several areas with a few kid sized chairs and sofas. Only kids
following behavior expectations get to sit there. We also have stuffed
'reading buddy' animals that kids can read to or pretend is reading to
them. I lay down the rules (# of bottoms in each piece of furniture, no
buddies flying through the air), and they know I'm serious that the
privilege will end if they don't comply.

Chris Wilson
Avon Center School
Round Lake Beach, IL

On Thu, Sep 1, 2016 at 4:13 PM, Email list for the Illinois School Library

> Good Afternoon,
>
> I work in a K-5 school and the kids don't seem to be able to silently read
> during library.  Now, I do not expect this all the time but the class
> behavior is bad when I'm checking out books and helping students find books
> they'll like.  I've given them assignments to finish and word searches and
> the volume gets louder and louder.  If I give them computers, they either
> need help from me for much of the assignment or they are playing games.
>
> Anyone have this problem?  Are there any solutions?
>
> Thanks in advance!
> Sue Meegan
> Calumet City, IL

'Who needs a librarian when you have Google? Well, who needs a doctor when
you have WebMD?'

Gwyneth Jones, The Daring Librarian.com

Christine Wilson,  Media Assistant
Avon Center School
CCSD 46

*Home of the Novas *
1617 N. Route 83
Round Lake Beach, IL  60073

847.543.5509
wilson.christine at d46. <http://wilson.christine@d46.k12.il.us>org

*Please consider the environment before printing this email *