[ISLMA-Share] HS Fines / Replacement Fees

Thu Sep 15 08:06:53 CDT 2016

We do not charge fees for late books. Once the book is overdue, I send out notices and seek out individual students and have a discussion with them about the whereabouts of the book. Most of the time that is all that's needed.

However, after 60 days the book goes into "lost" status and accrues a $30 replacement fee. This fee shows up on their student account and on a bill that goes to their parents. That is very effective at getting back the last few books.

That fee can follow a student all four years. If they are seniors and have fees, they wouldn't receive their cap and gown until they are paid. I send letters to parents whose students have unresolved fees prior to registration every summer, and I've had students show up with all their overdue library books.

I accept similar copies of the book in exchange for fees if the book is really lost. So a family can buy a used copy on Amazon for $.01 plus $3.99 shipping, and as long as it is in good condition, I'll accept it.

If you decide not to or don't collect fees, I find that it is essential to have a procedure in place that your administration will support and enforce.

Hope this helps!
Gretchen Zaitzeff
University High School
Normal, IL