[ISLMA-Share] Inspirational Section in libraries?

Thu Sep 15 15:49:12 CDT 2016

Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone has a particular section dedicated to Inspirational stories, both non-fiction and fiction? We have some area churches interested in possibly giving a monetary donation  towards purchasing some titles that would fall under this category. As well as donating already purchased titles.

If you do, did you make a specific section for them? (My fiction section is already genre-fied), did you put a special "tag" in the record so students could search titles that would fall into this category.

My idea initially was to possibly for example, denote a realistic fiction title  with an additional color coded spine label that would signify it is an inspirational title, while also dedicating/creating a separate, special non-fiction inspirational section on its own, which would include inspirational titles, self-help, successful habits, etc. Would that work?

We are a public school, but I would assume while these titles are inspirational, they may also contain some religious components as well. Not all, but some.

We are a small community, and I like the idea of possibly finding a way to denote titles for students who themselves and/or whose parents want to make sure they aren't checking out titles that conflict with their own values or might push the envelope a bit, especially with YA.

I am pretty selective with my section that I try to have something for everybody, which does include some titles that do push it the envelope, so I don't think it's bad to have titles on the other end of the spectrum as well (I already have quite a few), but this would be a significant expansion possibly.

Anyway, I hope this email makes sense of what I'm trying to get at and appreciate any ideas/feedback that could be provided, as I navigate this potential opportunity to add more books through monetary donation.

I understand its a fine line really, and am not interested in responses to debate anything. So if you have an ideas or have something done something similar, please feel free to email me privately at ThompsonS at winnebagoschools.org.

While I am at the HS, possibly adding these sections would happen in all our school libraries.

Thanks!

This transmission is intended and restricted for use by the above addressee only and may contain CONFIDENTIAL AND/OR PRIVILEGED INFORMATION WHICH MAY BE EXEMPT FROM DISCLOSURE UNDER FEDERAL OR STATE LAW. Any unauthorized review, use, dissemination, distribution, downloading, or copying of this communication or any of its attachments is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please immediately notify the listed sender by reply email, and take necessary steps to delete the file from your system and destroy any hard copies of this transmission.