[ISLMA-Share] Listening Tour Notes- Mundelein

Fri Sep 16 09:07:52 CDT 2016

Yesterday, 5 representatives from ISLMA attended the listening tour meeting
at Mundelein High School: Amy Sanecki (Cotton Creek Elementary School in
Wauconda), Kathryn Stott (Wauconda High School), Kathy Garneau (Bannockburn
Elementary School), Rebecca Plaza (Mundelein High School), and me (Woodland
Middle School in Gurnee).

The meeting started with a formal presentation from the ESSA Committee
updating the audience about the work that has happened so far and a
timeline of what is to come.  She stressed that everything presented was
still a work in progress. The powerpoint can be found on the website:

http://www.isbe.state.il.us/ESSA/default.htm

The formal presentation ended at 5:15.  Amy was the first to speak during
the public comments portion.  She did a wonderful job of representing ISLMA
and school librarians across the state.  One man came up to her at the end
and stated that his wife, a retired librarian, would be proud! I have
attached her written statement below. The other three public comments came
from special education teachers and someone from Glenbard West HS (I think
he was a board member).  They spoke about accountability and funding.

The session was then open for questions.  There was a lot of discussion and
several questions.  I asked "what happens with all the information gathered
at the listening tours?"  It appears that by October 7th, all the
information will be brought back to the various committees working on
ESSA.  They will sift through everything to "hash it out" and determine
"what fits and what doesn't".  Draft #2 will be created and submitted at
the November 18th board meeting.

She strongly encouraged anyone and everyone with something to say to
submit comments to the following email:  ESSA at isbe.net <essa at isbe.net>  She
said nothing is too big or too small to be considered.

There were about 25-30 people in the audience.  A reporter from the Daily
Herald was present.

I don't know if it is possible, but it might be in our best interest to try
and get a representative on one of the many subcommittees working on this
draft??  Just a thought.

Andrea Perrin
LRC Director
Woodland Middle School
Gurnee, Illinois

--
*Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire -
William Butler Yeats *