[ISLMA-Share] Skype with author Leséa Newman

Wed Sep 21 08:39:05 CDT 2016

Hello colleagues,
Every year I contact all the nominated Abe authors to see if they can Skype
with our Student Book Club. Yesterday we did a fascinating Skype session
with Leséa Newman, author of *October Mourning*.
It was $300 for 1 hour, during which she gave the students some personal
and historical context for Matthew Shepard's death, read some of the poems
from the book, and did Q&A. It generated a lot of discussion for my Book
Club even after we signed off of Skype. I think we will do a second meeting
on *October Mourning* to continue discussing the book but also things Ms.
Newman mentioned. The amount of student engagement and discussion was well
worth the $300.

You can contact her at leslea at lesleakids.com.
--
*Caitlin Greener*
Librarian

*Currently** Reading All The Bright Places by Jennifer Niven*
<https://twitter.com/NNirc>
Find us on Twitter @NilesNorthLib <https://twitter.com/NNirc>
Find us on Facebook at Niles Nort <https://twitter.com/NNirc>h Library
Find Book Club info on tumblr <http://nilesnorthbookclub.tumblr.com/>