[ISLMA-Share] H.S that allow Food in the Library

Wed Sep 21 09:51:27 CDT 2016

We allow drinks with lids, but no Polar Pops, and small snacks. No lunch food. If there is trash left out on the tables or on the floor, then the first time there is no food allowed the next day, the second time for a week and the third time for a month.

There was a time when we allowed lunch, but that was a mess. We found food in the stacks, there was a lot of trash, and both the crowd and the space were hard to manage. It also took four hard years to break the habit, because those that had eaten in the library were always trying to sneak food in. Now if a student is caught, they have to leave and eat or finish in the hall.

Hope this is helpful!
Gretchen Zaitzeff
University High School
Normal, IL
________________________________
From: islma-bounces at list.railslibraries.info [islma-bounces at list.railslibraries.info] on behalf of Email list for the Illinois School Library Media Association [islma at list.railslibraries.info]
Sent: Wednesday, September 21, 2016 9:38 AM
To: islma at list.railslibraries.info
Subject: [ISLMA-Share] H.S that allow Food in the Library

Hi my fellow librarian peeps,

We are trying to change the culture at my school to be more inclusive of allowing students to eat snacks in the library.  Are there any HS librarians that are willing to share their policy and experience with food?    Thanks in advance for all your help.

Best,
Jennette

Jennette Gonzalez
Library Director