[ISLMA-Share] H.S that allow Food in the Library

Wed Sep 21 12:16:29 CDT 2016

We allow food in the library also.

We do not have restrictions as to what, when, or where students eat EXCEPT
that they may only bring bagged lunches in - no cafeteria food - since we
are on the opposite end of the building from the cafeteria and don't want
kids heading down the halls with pizza, soup, pasta, etc.

For the most part, students are very respectful and clean up after
themselves, BUT when they do leave a mess, I find them the next day and
remind them to clean up after themselves. They usually just need that
reminder and are better about it moving forward. We are a quiet, relaxing
space for kids who need it during lunch hours. We discourage large groups
from sitting in here at lunch since they can easily sit together in the
cafeteria.

I have added more garbage cans all over the library so they don't have to
search for one. I also placed containers of unscented baby wipes at every
third table or so. I put a little sign on the box that reads, "Please clean
up after yourselves. Our house elves are on strike." The kids use them like
crazy. I am also very clear about our expectations regarding food and drink
during freshman orientation so students really know from week one what we
expect.

That's a lot of info - sorry for my rambling. We have at least 40 kids in
the library during each lunch period who need to get work done, want to
read, or just need to get away from the chaos that is the cafeteria. It
takes some work to make this place different than the cafeteria, but it is
worth it for us! Good luck!

*Angela Pigoni*
LLC Director
Wheaton North High School
630.784.7300 x8498

On Wed, Sep 21, 2016 at 9:38 AM, Email list for the Illinois School Library

> Hi my fellow librarian peeps,
>
> We are trying to change the culture at my school to be more inclusive of
> allowing students to eat snacks in the library.  Are there any HS
> librarians that are willing to share their policy and experience with food?
>    Thanks in advance for all your help.
>
> Best,
> Jennette
>
> Jennette Gonzalez
>
> Library Director
> Ridgewood High School
>
> 7500 W. Montrose Ave.
>
> Norridge, IL 60706
>

> Phone: 708 697-5546
> Fax: 708 456-0342
> jgonzalez at ridgenet.org
> <https://webmail.ridgenet.org/owa/redir.aspx?C=a5c33e3e31174373ab4eb22cf18f04de&URL=mailto%3ajgonzalez%40ridgenet.org>

This electronic mail message may contain confidential and proprietary
information.  If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient,
any disclosure, copying or distribution of this communication is strictly
immediately delete this message and any attachments.