[ISLMA-Share] Research Skills

Fri Sep 23 14:29:44 CDT 2016

Hi Amy and All,
We have a 6th grade class called Middle School Skills our students take
during the 6 weeks of the year.
This year we launched a research boot camp for 3 of those days.
The first day we focused on search, second on evaluation, third on
citations just to get everyone a baseline. Hopefully the content area
teachers will expect their students to know what was covered and then help
build on those skills.

Our search day mainly focused on Google searching to keep it hands-on and
smaller in scope so we could dig into a little bit of content.

The search shark materials were a good way to get started -
https://www.brainpop.com/games/searchshark/
Cute video.
And then engaging game to help them think about search terms.
Very basic, but a good entry point in....

DAY ONE - In Search Of...Knowing Your Resources and Building a Solid Search

Objective -

   -

   Students will be able to identify an information need and develop search
   terms to access information.

Standards -

   -

   CCSS.ELA.Literacy.CCRA.W7, CCSS.ELA.Literacy.CCRA.W8 (full descriptions
   below)
   -

   ISAIL Standard 1 - “Access information efficiently and effectively to
   inquire, think critically, and gain knowledge”

Activity

   -

   Introduction and Practice. Students will practice building keyword
   searches from questions and play Search Shark
   <https://www.brainpop.com/games/searchshark/> to hone these skills.
   Presentation
   <https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/15xh_fvgkGd-Fovqc80tTBe0YBrsHjdxgdm-kf02sfZY/edit#slide=id.p>.

   -

   Develop a search to meet information needs. Given a topic related to
   Outdoor Education in a group. Develop a search using KEYWORDS. Create a
   google doc that serves as a research log
   <https://docs.google.com/document/d/1eZgfRnpw3qit8j-2NUmZPzeCuU8ddyfIU-d1tZjzT1k/edit>
   .

Using search strategies identify a couple sources to use and record in
research log…which leads to evaluation on day two.

I get another chance next week with the other half of our 6th grade.
And I'll tweak some things. But I thought the first day went pretty well.
Erin

Erin Wyatt, Ph.D.
Learning Center Director
Highland Middle School
310 W. Rockland Rd.
Libertyville, IL 60048
http://www.d70schools.org/~hlc

On Fri, Sep 23, 2016 at 12:34 PM, Email list for the Illinois School
Library Media Association <islma at list.railslibraries.info> wrote:

> Hello Friends!
>

> So, my 6th graders are struggling with *basic * research skills. Like,
> how not to type in a full question into Google.
>

> Does anyone have any lessons or cheat sheets you can share with on how to
> do a basic search or how to deconstruct a question for a more robust
> search. Im looking for *simple* explanations. Maybe even dipping to my
> elementary friends.
>

> Thanks!
>

> Amy Stefanski
>
> District Librarian